Have you always wanted to try tandem paragliding, but never knew where or when to go? We’ve got you covered! Your first flight is one you’ll never forget, which is why choosing the right place is important. To make your life easier, we’ve collected the 10 best places for paragliding in Europe. Choose only among the best!
Paragliding is a thrilling way to experience Europe’s beautiful landscape. There are many great spots throughout the continent to take flight, but some locations are more popular than others. In this blog post, we will explore some of the best paragliding spots in Europe and provide information on what makes each one so special. So if you’re looking for an unforgettable adventure, read on!
#1 Interlaken in Switzerland
For the first place on our list, we take you to the Swiss Alps, to a place known for its many outdoor activities: Interlaken. This town is called Interlaken because it lies between two turquoise lakes, Lake Brienz (Brienzersee) and Lake Thun (Thunersee).
With your qualified instructor, take off from one of the mountains surrounding Interlaken for an unforgettable ride! The most common takeoff point is Beatenberg, above Lake Thun. During your tandem paragliding flight, all you have to do is take quick steps, then sit back and enjoy the view. Around you, you will see the peaks of the Swiss Alps such as the famous trio Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau, as well as the Schilthorn!
No matter the season, you can always try tandem paragliding in Interlaken and witness incredible views of the Bernese Oberland mountains.
Why Tandem Paragliding in Interlaken?
- Fly above the crystal clear, turquoise waters of Switzerland’s two lakes
- See the beautiful Swiss Alps from above
- Discover the city of Interlaken and its surroundings
- Many other activities to try in Interlaken
#2 Annecy in France
Tandem paragliding over Annecy is sure to give you goosebumps. Many paragliding schools allow you to fly in the area, and in most cases, certified instructors take you to Talloires-Montmin, so you can start your flight from one of its surrounding mountains. From there, you will have a view of the lake below you as well as the city of Annecy and its surroundings.
During the winter you can paraglide above the ski resort of La Clusaz, and thanks to the snow, you won’t hear any noise during your flight! A unique experience and a perfect opportunity to try paragliding! If you don’t like it, then the best time to paraglide in Annecy is definitely during sunny days: from April to October, where conditions are idyllic. Especially at the end of summer, you can enjoy the view under warm autumn light.
Why paragliding in Annecy?
- There is beautiful scenery, from the lake to the surrounding mountains.
- It is one of the most famous paragliding sites in all of Europe
- There are many paragliding schools in Annecy as well as other outdoor activities to try.
- The town of Annecy is definitely worth seeing, and it’s even better from the air!
#3 Reykjavik in Iceland
Iceland has a lot to offer! This volcanic island is heaven on earth for nature lovers, as there are numerous natural phenomena. So we take you paragliding near Reykjavik, where you can admire the magnificent sights, phenomena, and landscapes from the sky! Flying in Reykjanesfólkvangur National Park, you can fly over hot springs, rainbow mountains, and all the other secret places shaped by volcanic eruptions and seismic activities.
Another place to try tandem paragliding is in southern Iceland, in Vík í Mýrdal, known as Vík. Depending on weather conditions, you will take off from different places. You will see the Seljalandsfoss waterfall or the unique basalt columns clinging to the cliffs on the southern coast of Reynisdrangar.
The best time for tandem paragliding in Iceland is from April to early November. After that, the weather is not ideal for the sport.
Why paragliding in Reykjavík?
- You have a beautiful and varied landscape to see from the sky.
- Most paragliding schools offer rides that take up the whole day, with only a few jumps.
- You can discover natural phenomena you won’t see anywhere else! Plus, at night, you can even see the Northern Lights!
#4 Lake Garda in Italy
Northern Italy is home to one of the best paragliding spots in Europe. Lake Garda is just over 50 km long, making it the largest lake in all of Italy. It is known for water sports and numerous outdoor activities!
So get ready to glide over the green mountains and blue water of Lake Garda for 20-40 minutes! The usual takeoff point is Mount Pizzocolo, on the southwestern side of the lake near the village of San Michele, where you will take off from 1,500 m above sea level. After a short briefing, you will be ready to go paragliding on Lake Garda.
The best seasons to try paragliding on Lake Garda are spring and summer!
Why try tandem paragliding on Lake Garda?
- You will witness breathtaking views of the lake and green mountain fields
- The flight takes between 20 and 40 minutes
- Great place to visit during spring or summer
- Many other outdoor activities to try near Lake Garda
#5 Crete in Greece
Our next paragliding spot is Chania, located in northern Crete in Greece. This underrated island is home to beautiful landscapes, from cliffs to sandy beaches with clear water, and has a rich ancient history. Chania, one of the island’s most famous cities, is known for its colorful old town, Venetian harbor, and lighthouse.
Tandem paragliding in Crete and particularly in Chania is definitely worth a try. There are two main take-off points, the first is at Falasarna, where you take off from 250 m, and you can also fly over the beautiful lagoon of Balos (weather permitting). The second point is Varipetro, where you will take off at 500 m, and you will see the whole town, Souda Bay, and if the thermal winds are active, you can soar up to 1000 m high.
Why tandem paragliding in Crete, Greece?
- Discover the island and its beautiful scenery from above.
- So many different landscapes to see from your paraglider.
- Flights can be long with the right weather conditions
- Many fun and varied activities to try in Crete.
#6 Chamonix in France
Chamonix has been a world-famous ski resort in France since the Olympic Games were held there in 1924, and it is undoubtedly one of the best places for paragliding in Europe. While tandem paragliding in Chamonix, you will have great views of the French Alps, Chamonix and, of course, Mont Blanc (the highest peak in France and the Alps and one of the highest in all of Europe).
In both summer and winter, you can paraglide at this epic destination among the highest peaks in Europe. In winter, you can take off from the ski resort, which means you’ll put on your skis and glide over snowy landscapes! And in summer, you can see animals in their natural habitat, valleys full of green grass and colorful flowers and lakes.
Why try tandem paragliding in Chamonix?
- You can paraglide in Chamonix all year round.
- Take off from some of the highest peaks in France: Plan de l’Aiguille (2300 m), Planpraz (2000 m), the Grands Montets (3300 m) or the most famous and one of the Aiguilles du Midi (3700 m).
- From up there you will see one of the highest peaks in all of Europe.
#7 The Dolomites in Italy
Seventh on the list of the best spots for paragliding are the Dolomites. They are a small part of the Alps, and can reach up to 1850 meters high. Located in northern Italy, they are classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and are a perfect place for paragliding.
If the weather conditions are ideal, you can try tandem paragliding over Plan de Corones or Castelrotto. But if there is wind, we recommend taking off near Spitzbühl. Since the Dolomites cover more than 15 000 square kilometers, you will have a lot to see during your flight.
In the heat of summer or the cold of winter, paragliding in the Dolomites is possible, the only thing that will change is the landscape.
Why try tandem paragliding in the Dolomites?
- It is ideal for paragliding during all four seasons
- Beautiful surroundings, from lakes to mountains, forests, etc.
- Many other activities to try there!
#8 Tenerife in Spain
For paragliding enthusiasts, the small island of Tenerife is a gem! Located near the coast of Morocco and above the Sahara Desert, this Canary Island will give you great views while paragliding.
No matter where your takeoff point is, you will have breathtaking views of sandy beaches and the ocean. But depending on your takeoff point, you will be able to see different places like Las Palmas or Teide Park. Paragliding in Costa Adeje is still the most popular place to try this activity on the island. If the weather is optimal, your instructor might even let you check out the paraglider for a while!
Why try tandem paragliding in Tenerife?
- You can paraglide in the Canary Islands all year round.
- There are many take-off points with a different view each time.
- You might even get to check out paragliding if the weather permits!
- Try many other activities during your stay.
#9 Cephalonia in Greece
Paragliding is all about breathtaking views, and Kefalonia is therefore definitely one of the best paragliding spots in Europe. With the crystal-clear waters of the Ionian Sea, white sandy beaches, and biodiverse nature, you will have a great time roaming above the island.
Doing tandem paragliding in Kefalonia, you will take off from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world-Myrtos Beach, located in the northwest of the island. After a short briefing by your instructors, you’ll be fully prepared to take off for a 10- to 25-minute ride of pure fun and relaxation, with breathtaking views, of course.
Why try tandem paragliding in Kefalonia?
- Fly to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
- You will have a view of the entire beach and crystal clear water
- There are different kinds of landscapes surrounding you
- An important historical background, so lots of sightseeing when you’re there.
- You can go paragliding there all year round
#10 Funchal in Portugal
The last place on our list of the 10 best paragliding spots in Europe is Funchal, located on the island of Madeira in Portugal. This city is known for its wine, and its gastronomy but also for its beautiful landscapes. Being the perfect mix between going to the mountains and being on an island, you will definitely enjoy paragliding in Funchal.
To try paragliding in Funchal, you’ll start with a briefing where instructors tell you everything you need to know, including where you’ll take off (6 different options). In general, the flight takes 15 to 40 minutes. Paragliding in Funchal is great for beginners and can be tried year-round!
Why try tandem paragliding in Funchal?
- Varied landscapes: Stunning views of the sea, mountains, and gardens
- Several take-off points with different views
- Great for those who want to paraglide for the first time
- Many other activities to try in Funchal
Now that you know all about the 10 best paragliding spots in Europe, it’s up to you to choose your perfect spot! It’s not that easy, is it? Whichever spot you choose, we assure you that they are all great for beginners and will leave you with unforgettable memories of the place.
Chances are you’ll come back for more! In the meantime, here is our Complete Guide to Tandem Paragliding to prepare you for your flight. And if the 10 places above don’t include your all-time favorite destination in Europe, check out all our tandem paragliding flights.